The Seattle Animal Shelter will be closed on Thursday, July 4, in observance of the holiday.
If you find a stray animal on the holiday, please care for the animal until the Shelter’s next business day. Seattle Animal Shelter administrative offices and field services will re-open on Friday, July 5. Humane law enforcement officers are not available on July 4, so for any life-threatening situations involving both a human and an animal, please call the Seattle Police Department at 911.
The Shelter’s animal care center and the pet licensing office (normally closed on Mondays and Tuesdays) will re-open at noon on Friday, July 5, for adoptions, redemptions, stray animal drop-offs and pet licensing.
If you need emergency care for an injured animal, the following veterinary hospitals will be open on the holiday:
Animal Critical Care & Emergency Services
11536 Lake City Way N.E.
Seattle, WA 98125
Emerald City Emergency Clinic
4102 Stone Way N.
Seattle, WA 98103
And be sure to protect your pets on the Fourth of July:
- Keep pet indoors or otherwise secured when fireworks are being shot off.
- Consult your veterinarian beforehand if you think your pet may need to be sedated.
- Take your pet outside to relieve itself before it gets dark.
- If you take your pet to a park, do not leave it locked in a car.
- Do not take your pet to public fireworks displays.
- Make sure your pet is wearing proper identification, such as a current pet license.
- Don’t forget these pet safety tips for hot weather.
If a pet is wearing its license and it shows up at the shelter, the owner is notified immediately via telephone. If an officer finds a licensed pet in the field, it will be returned to its owner instead of being taken to the shelter. Experience shows that often an injured animal wearing a license is more likely to receive life saving veterinary care if the owner cannot be contacted immediately.
The costs for pet licenses are:
- Dog: one-year $47 ($27 if spayed or neutered); or two-years $69 ($37 if spayed or neutered).
- Cat: one-year $30 ($20 if spayed or neutered); or two-years $45 ($27 if spayed or neutered).
The Seattle Animal Shelter’s regular hours are Wednesday through Sunday from noon to 6 p.m. for adoptions, redemptions and pet licensing. For more information, please call (206) 386-7387 (PETS) or visit www.seattleanimalshelter.org.