SEATTLE — To commemorate Feb. 22, 2011, as the 17th annual “Spay Day,” the Seattle Animal Shelter’s Spay and Neuter Clinic is offering FREE spay/neuter packages to Seattle pets scheduled for surgery on Feb. 22, 23, 24, 25 or 28. The package includes vaccinations and microchip and is worth between $135 and $195. To schedule an appointment, call 386-4260.
To take advantage of this special offer, pets must have a current Seattle license or one may be purchased on the day of the appointment. For altered cats, a one-year license costs $20, $27 for two years; and for altered dogs, it’s $27 for one year, and $37 for two years.
This year’s special offer of FREE spay/neuter packages is made possible by a bequest from a shelter supporter in honor of her surviving companion animal, Onyx, a female cocker spaniel.
“We sincerely appreciate this generous bequest which enables us to make this special offer to commemorate Spay Day. I can think of no better way to honor a beloved pet than to try to help prevent unwanted births and reduce the needless suffering of homeless animals,” says Seattle Animal Shelter Director Don Jordan.
“Spay Day” is an international campaign of The Humane Society of the United States and Humane Society International. During the month of February, animal shelters and animal welfare agencies throughout the world join forces to promote the spaying and neutering of pets as the most effective and humane way to decrease the euthanasia of homeless animals in shelters throughout the world.
“Spaying and neutering allows your pet to have a longer, healthier, happier life,” adds clinic Director Dr. Mary Ellen Zoulas.
Year-round the Shelter provides financial assistance through the city’s “Pet Population Control Fund,” to pet owners in need for spaying and neutering their pets.
There are several ways you can celebrate Spay Day in February and throughout the year:
· Donate to the “Pet Population Control Fund” at the Seattle Animal Shelter.
· Enter the Spay Day Online Pet Photo Contest. For more information about the contest and about other Spay Day activities, go to the HSUS Web site: humanesociety.org/spayday
· Ask friends and family to vote for your pet’s photo at the HSUS site above. You can even add a vote button for your pet on your Facebook page. Each vote costs $1, which can be donated to the Seattle Animal Shelter Spay/Neuter Clinic.
· Turn in a litter. As part of an ongoing Seattle Animal Shelter program, anyone who turns in a litter of puppies or kittens to the shelter, is eligible for a free spay or neuter for the parent animal(s). In return, the shelter guarantees the adoption of these kittens and puppies, if they are adoptable.
· Talk to your friends, neighbors and family about getting their pets spayed or neutered. Year-round the Seattle Animal Shelter’s Spay and Neuter Clinic is able to help those in need with discounted or free spay/neuter surgeries.
For more information about Spay Day Seattle, to make a donation to the Pet Population Control Fund, or to learn more about other Seattle Animal Shelter services, call (206) 386-PETS (7387), or visit www.seattleanimalshelter.org.
– 30 –